THE GORDON MEMORIAL HALL provides an essential and well-used centre for social occasions, study groups and meetings, Sunday School and crèche facilities, in addition to storage space for the church and a flower room.
It is used by the local community as well as by the congregation and has a well-equipped kitchen, toilets and a separate toilet for the disabled with wheelchair access.
As of January 2017 there is also free Wi-Fi.
THE HISTORY OF THE HALL
A substantial bequest from Major Alan Gordon of Threave, Castle Douglas, was received by the church on Major Gordon’s death in 1957 and money from this bequest was used for the building of the Hall, with the congregation raising money to repay some of that taken from the Endowment Fund.
After the Hall was built, two ladies from the congregation started the garden around the back, which then comprised two yews and a lime tree. The students from Threave (then the National Trust for Scotland’s School of Practical Gardening) were invited to submit designs, and plants were bought from Threave.
A list of the plants purchased was put up in church and individuals were invited to ‘sponsor’ the plants. Over the intervening years, the garden has matured into a pleasing and restful place to sit.